Life With Factor V-Leiden

The irresponsible decision by one person to drive a vehicle without insurance, has created an unbelievable aftermath.  Surprisingly, he suffered no consequences for his decision.  I however, did.  My living with Factor V-Leiden lessened my chance of a normal recovery.

Struck By An Uninsured Driver

The morning of April 4th, 2014 changed my life dramatically and forever. A short trip to the local store, less than a mile away would leave me disabled. The return trip and being hit by a mini-van sent my world into a downward spiral. With in minutes my world went from prosperous to mid-life crisis.  I went from being an active grandmother, looking forward to the next stage of my life; to a weak, wheel chair bound and hopeless burden on my family. This was reality. This was life. The future was unsure, the outcome unpredictable, and with no promises of recovery or being financially sound again.

Trauma Wards and Surgeries

From the first ambulance to the first surgery, seemed like forever. The first four days in the trauma ward is lost and forgotten today. Bits and pieces that I do remember were mostly discussions with surgeons and nurses. I have Factor V-Leiden, meaning I inherited a bad gene in my DNA.
So much damage needed repair, the thickness of my blood was an issue. Every injury had blood pooling around it and the bruising was extensive on my back, rib cage and breasts. I was 80 % more likely to have a blood clot, a thrombosis or venous thromboembolism than other women my age.  And I did as the result of the surgeries and immobility.  A surgical team of two brothers,  were willing to attempt to piece my knee and shoulder back together. But, with a condition. I had to understand, that there was little bone left to work with, that I would need more surgeries in the future and a lot of physical therapy. Life from that point on would never be the same. I will always walk with a limp and a slower gait. And there were no promises that my shoulder and left arm would ever recover.  The Factor V-Leiden complicated surgery and therapy.  Causing the doctors to postpone surgery, twice.  My blood was too thick due to the Factor V-Leiden and I had to take mass dosages of vitamin K.
One surgeon removed crush tibia bone, from below my knee. Pins, a rod, and a metal hinge like device are now my knee. The therapy was brutal. A cast immobilized my ankle to my upper thigh. It would be six months before I could put any pressure on my left leg. I developed two major venous thrombosis in my left leg.  And another in the muscle tissue of my injured left arm. After more than 200 hours of physical therapy, I am able to walk using a cane. I move at a slower pace now, my gait is slow.
The socket that the ball sits in to rotate, shattered into three pieces. The muscles died or mangled. With screws, pins, rods and cadaver bone, my shoulder was rebuilt. And after 6 months a shoulder replacement took place. Between the two, there were hundreds of hours of physical therapy, doctors visits, follow-up visits, blood work, X-rays, and speech pathology visits. Today, I sport a partial shoulder, I can pick up 4 pounds and have 20 % usage. I am now cleared and expect my next visit in a year.  Since I am now on blood thinners for the rest of my life, I will have blood work done, monthly.  If my blood thins or thickens, there is a higher chance of thrombosis, or blood clots.  I threw six during the hospital stay, three afterwards.

The True Costs of Uninsured Drivers

The True Cost is unimaginable. There are the monetary losses, from loss of work. The loss of hours of life spent in therapy, travel, and doctors visits. Hours lost that could have been play time with my grand child, or a walk for my dog. The loss of my self-respect, when I had to have help in the bathroom, in the shower, washing my hair and dressing. The damage to family ties. The loss of my self-sufficiency and being dependent on others. Days and months of time lost while healing, that can never be recovered. These are the true costs created by uninsured drivers.





Comments